[IAEP] Sugar Labs Website Revamp IRC Mtg 1-8-12 11:00amEST(16:00UTC)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jan 29 11:36:00 EST 2012

Apologies for the very late response, I fell behind on email processing
for a while.

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 09:58 -0500, Steve Thomas wrote:

> So one form of content would be project kids/teachers create using
> various activities (Turtle Art, Etoys, etc.)

TurtleArt's home page in the wiki has plenty of good examples to rip for
the website. For the other activities, I collected several
representative screenshots for use in talks. My slides are already
published in the wiki, but I can't retrieve the link right now because
I'm working offline.

> I am working on a project hosting site for activities (similar to the
> Scratch Website) where Sugar users can post projects they create.
>

> I am using Google App Engine, but would also need some other
> infrastructure (ex:WebDav server for storing/serving project files)

We can do that on Sunjammer, our main server. If you want, the
infrastructure team can host the entire application, but you'd have to
switch to a free web framework such as LAMP, Rails, Drupal or (I hope
not) Django.

Another idea could be integrating with the existing ASLO (php) or
perhaps rebasing ASLO on the current upstream Remora codebase (python).

> Also, Andres Monroy-Hernandez had a good blog post on Supporting an
> Online Community for Kids.

I'll read it when I get online, thanks.

--
Bernie Innocenti