[IAEP] Google Summer of Code

Edward Mokurai Cherlin mokurai at sugarlabs.org
Mon Feb 13 02:26:28 EST 2012

On Wed, February 8, 2012 6:15 pm, Walter Bender wrote:
> It is that time of year again. We need to start soliciting
> participants in Google Summer of Code [1, 2]. We also need to organize
> our application to the program as a mentoring organization. Please
> contact me if you are interested in participating as a coder, a
> mentor, or administrator.

Can we propose projects to integrate free software into Open Education
Resources and thus into curricula? I would be delighted to mentor or
administer such projects, and to coordinate between GSoC projects and
FLOSS Manuals (for software manuals) and Sugar Labs (for Replacing
Textbooks). I have several lined up in math and can come up with
others in a variety of subjects.

I have recently been doing the coding for Algebra: An Algorithmic
Treatment, by Turing Award winner Kenneth E. Iverson. He wrote it for
APL on printing terminals in the early 1970s, and I have translated it
to his last language, J, on Linux, Mac, and Windows.