[IAEP] Sugar Labs Website Revamp IRC Mtg 1-8-12 11:00amEST(16:00UTC)

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Mon Feb 6 14:41:42 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 09:58 -0500, Steve Thomas wrote:
> > I am working on a project hosting site for activities (similar to the
> > Scratch Website) where Sugar users can post projects they create.
> >
> > I am using Google App Engine, but would also need some other
> > infrastructure (ex:WebDav server for storing/serving project files)
>
> We can do that on Sunjammer, our main server.

My main need for now is:

   1. WebDav Server
   2. Ability to create login's (user/pass) that default to a specific
   directory
   3. Ability to create sub-directories (one per user)
   4. A cron job to detect newly uploaded files and parse them to get
   manifest information. (I'll write the cron job, just need permissions to
   set them up)

> If you want, the
> infrastructure team can host the entire application, but you'd have to
> switch to a free web framework such as LAMP, Rails, Drupal or (I hope
> not) Django.

At some point in the future I realize it would be good to build this on a
free framework, so it could be installed on school servers.  At this point
I think I will stick with App Engine and then once I have that working look
to porting something to another framework. I guess not Django, although I
am curious as to why not.

> Another idea could be integrating with the existing ASLO (php) or
> perhaps rebasing ASLO on the current upstream Remora codebase (python).

 Links please (for Remora)

Stephen