[IAEP] (no subject)

Edward Mokurai Cherlin mokurai at sugarlabs.org
Sun Feb 5 00:42:27 EST 2012

Please pass this on to

     OLPC Australia <olpc-au at lists.laptop.org >,
     OLPC New Zealand <olpc-nz at lists.laptop.org >,
     OLPC Oceania <olpc-oceania at lists.laptop.org >,
     Grassroots <grassroots at lists.laptop.org >

On Fri, February 3, 2012 7:41 am, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> You may be interested in a review I have written of the OLPC Australia
> education programme:
>
> http://www.dhanapalan.com/blog/2012/02/01/creating-an-education-programme/

Thank you for this. Is Australia planning for the necessary conversion
from printed textbooks to all-digital Open Education Resources? I say
that it is necessary in part because the computers cost less than the
printed textbooks, and also because we cannot integrate computer
software into the curriculum until we go to digital OERs. Bangladesh
has done so, and both Uruguay and South Korea have announced plans to
do so.

There are OERs on almost every subject at all levels, but outside
Bangladesh there are no complete integrated suites covering all of the
requirements, including teacher training. We need governments and
school authorities to take this problem seriously, to plan for what is
needed, and to think about how to organize and fund the conversion.