[IAEP] <OLPC

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sun Dec 2 23:27:26 EST 2012

Hi,

The Saint Jacob school has one laptop per child in grades 4, 5, and 6.
The teachers in the lower primary (K, grades 1, 2, and 3) want to use
them for selected lessons.

There needs to be a way for the work of each student who is sharing a
laptop to be kept separate. In particular, the school server knows the
class of the student who 'owns' the machine and provides access only to
those lessons.

I consider this requirement as less than One Laptop Per Child.

I propose the following:

Modify the XO menu (home screen) to add a 'new' tab. This tab can be
used to assign another nick. For example, there could be the student's
nick plus a nick for the family to keep family use separate from the
students. This tab would bring up the original login screen to allow
selection of a nick and colors.

Separate datastore folders would be set up in
/home/olpc/.sugar/default/datastore with a link to datastore for the
logged in user.

When the laptop connects with the schoolserver, it will identify both
the serial-number and nick for the laptop.

On the schoolserver, the /library/users/serial-number folder will have
folders for each user. The serial-number key pair would be used for
authorization and then backup would go to the correct folder (the backup
program would be aware of multiple users).

I would appreciate any suggestions for better ways to do this and for
anyone who sees something I have missed.

Tony