[IAEP] Sugarized binaries? was Re: users doing python in XOs

Yama Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 15:57:51 EST 2012

Maybe there was a misunderstanding. I have no intention to rewrite Sugar
activities.

Thank you for your concern.

No worry no more. I learned that my relevant target audience for
Sugarizing RPMs, kids potential microcontroller developers in Uruguay,
no longer are limited by the block Ceibal has put on sudo in XOs.

Because they don't use XOs anymore.
They use Ubuntu, on Classmates.

As to the background, my personal experience with compiled vs.
interpreted is that compiled runs faster.

So, if you compile your code (I remember how excited we were when one of
our pals discovered this compiler for Basic, back when) it would
"improve" things.
No idea if there is such a thing as a compiler that will take Python as
source, but nowadays it becomes a moot point, for me, to Sugarize things.

People free to use sudo, will use sudo.
The others use Ubuntu. They both use Terminal and don't even notice the
silly overhead the GUI causes them, but since the binaries are so fast
in compiling, it doesn't really matter.
A few XO users are lost - I don't have the skills to help them, sorry.

as to the specialized use, well, I really don't know, not being of that
persuasion, if it is or is not.

As to real world use of accessing the code by kids to make modifications
directly on their own XOs, I agree it was a *nice* idea (I loved it when
I heard about it)

thank you again!