[IAEP] Fwd: Songs for kids!(also: keyboard for TamTam)

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 13:08:42 EDT 2012

Hi Gary,
Yes, I know there are problems with TamTam, but it is still very usable and worthwhile in its current form.  Please include it! I wish I were a programmer that could help update TamTam, but I stopped programming in the days of Pascal. However, I would love to be a tester for this!
An 88 note keyboard would really be more than is needed for most uses. It could be offered as an option, but one of 3 1/2 to 4 octaves would be more than enough for most educational uses. The real value of the keyboard is so students can learn the layout so they can transfer their knowledge to many other instruments that use the same layout: marimba, xylophone, accordion, glockenspiel, vibraphone, organ, piano, etc, etc, etc. (these usually have far fewer than 88 keys or tone bars).
Actually, a 30 key version would be plenty for starters... go from the G below middle C to the C two octaves above middle C. This would also be more child friendly... larger keys (also good for older people with "fat fingers"), less confusion, but still offers the opportunity to learn the layout while having lots of fun playing!
Keep me posted...
Caryl
P.S. If others reading this have ideas for keyboard layout for TamTam, please add them!