[IAEP] [support-gang] Problems!

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Thu Sep 15 01:08:26 EDT 2011

It's not clear if you tried it, but I have cleared up a lot of weird
keyboard issues by removing both the battery and external power, and then
reconnecting them.  This resets the embedded controller that controls the
keyboard.

If your firmware upgrade was significant enough jump, the embedded
controller may have new software for itself which does not work with older
settings.  Currently this is more likely to happen on an XO-1 than it is on
a 1.5.

When powering on the XO, be sure not to try and break into Open Firmware
before you hear the start of the start-up chimes, as prior to that point the
XO may be trying to figure out what type of keyboard it has attached.

(Still, although I've seen odd keyboard repeats which disappeared on reset,
this does sound like a key could actually be stuck.)