[IAEP] Moebius Noodles Improv, free and open online class: advanced math, birth to five, starts November 1!

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 20:08:28 EDT 2011

 Hello! We are Yelena and Maria, the founders of the Moebius Noodles
community and mathusiastic moms. We are inviting you to join “Moebius
Noodles Improv,” a parent and educator online class, during the first three
weeks of November. Click "Participate" button to sign up:
http://p2pu.org/en/groups/moebius-noodles-improv/content/full-description/

In our previous classes, we showed quite a few games for teaching advanced
math concepts to young children in a relaxing and fun way that engages the
entire family. This time around, we will teach you how to create your own
games that fit your child’s unique interests and learning preferences. We
will give you the confidence to improvise and create math games on the fly.

The class is a cooperative, peer-to-peer gathering of adventurous grown-ups
who want to enjoy advanced math with babies, toddlers and young kids. Think
of it more like a get-together at your favorite coffee shop than a “prim
and proper” class.

Here is the plan for each of the three weeks

   - On Tuesdays and Thursdays, you will get your improv prompt - a story
   or a video of a young math game, and ways you can vary it.
   - On Wednesdays and Fridays, you will improvise with your kids - we hope
   it will be a fun five or ten minutes for the whole family! You will send
   photos or videos of the improv to the class, and comment on others improvs.
   - Every photo, story, question, video you send will get a response from
   Yelena and Maria, as well as other class members.
   - We will have live online jam sessions on the first Tuesday of the
   class (November 1st) and also after the class ends (November 22nd), for
   those whose schedules allow to attend at 9:30pm Eastern US time.

Why join?

   - *Learning: *exchange smart game know-how with like-minded parents
   - *Reduction of doubts and fears:* See how young math really happens in
   the families (worth a thousand books)
   - *Peer support: *Have your math parenting questions answered by peers
   and veterans
   - *Make a difference:* Each math improv story, video or photo you send,
   each question you pose contributes to a free and open (Community Commons)
   resource, for educating millions of kids (and their parents and teachers)
   all over the world

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math