[IAEP] You can't stroll around Rwanda with an armful of stolen XOs without people noticing

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 09:11:40 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
<christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 04.10.2011 13:53, schrieb Walter Bender:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Sean DALY<sdaly.be at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> http://allafrica.com/stories/201110031753.html
>>>
>> What is remarkable to me about this story is how exceptional it is:
>> the naysayers predicted widespread theft and over the past 5 years, we
>> have seen very little.
>
> Well, OLPC itself did spend what seemed like considerable energy and
> software design decision making on the security and anti-theft side of
> things. So I don't think it was just the naysayers who were worried...

I guess I was too terse in my comment. Many people said that no matter
what we did, theft would be an insurmountable problem. The evidence to
date suggests that this is not the case. The reasons are probably a
combination of our efforts to build in anti-theft (as you point out),
our approach to 1-to-1 computing and our efforts regarding community
engagement. (Note that the programs where theft is a recurring problem
-- NYC and Chile come to mind -- tend to use a different model than
OLPC deployments -- laptop carts, which are an obvious target.)

regards.

-walter

--
Walter Bender