[IAEP] How can we help kids get into the habits of looking for all possible causes and counter examples to problems?

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:35:02 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 12:58 AM, <nanonano at mediagala.com> wrote:

>  *>On 02/10/2011 09:07 a.m., Maria Droujkova wrote:
> >...I have never had to do anything with REASONS for seasons or phases of
> the moon, outside of curriculum design. Have you?*

> One reason to think about  phases of the moon on our normal life is the
> fact that people on the north hemisphere see the moon "upsidedown".  Or the
> opposite: people on the southern hemisphere see the moon "upsidedown".
>
> We can use that knowledge on our normal life: On the calendar we can see
> the icons of phases of the mooon, but those icons were designed by northern
> people, with  the crescent moon like a "D" and the Waning Moon like a "C",
> but in the southern hemisphere is the opposite, crescent moon is a "C" and
> waning moon is a "D". (the people that designs calendar on the south repeat
> like parrots the things that northern people designs, so they draw the moon
> in the opposite way....)
>
> In northern hemisphere the mooon is liar, because she is a "C" when she is
> "de-crescent", and she is a "D" when she is Crescent, but here on the south
> the moon tell us the truth.
>
> -----------------------------
>
> For example: a child in Uruguay could take a picture of the moon and send
> to a child in Canada,  the same day, so they can compare that fact. and
> maybe another child on the equator  can send another picture that shows the
> moon on the middle, like an "U".

This suggests that in Gary Martin's Moon activity,
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Moon
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/sugar/addon/4034

the hemisphere toggle control should instead control rotation of the view
between the north and south extremes.

That might help you if you wake up in a strange land and need clues to  your
location.

{...}