[IAEP] How can we help kids get into the habits of looking for all possible causes and counter examples to problems?

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Sun Oct 2 17:59:08 EDT 2011

Maria wrote:
> Looking back at my life, I have never had to do anything with REASONS for
> seasons or phases of the moon, outside of curriculum design. Have you?

No, I doubt that > 0.001% of us have any reason to understand these things.

The reason to teach about these things is that in practicing developing and testing hypotheses, it builds up our skills to understand other systems. So this kind of material should not be rote learned, it should be investigated.

As Maria suggests, it might be even better practicing hypothesis testing on systems more relevant to us. The seasons probably made more sense a century ago as a system on which to practice understanding. We were much more affected by the seasons then and lived in a far simpler world. Today, maybe we should practice understanding on the internet or television or whether the moon landing was an elaborate hoax on a sound stage.

The challenge for teachers is to share our love of understanding things, not so much a love of learning but a love of understanding. The joy of building robust hypotheses of how things work.

PS
Another challenge: why is it colder in the mountains?

Tony