[IAEP] Contemplating Your SLOBS Vote

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 08:10:49 EST 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:20 AM,  <nanonano at mediagala.com> wrote:
>>On 18/11/2011 09:47 a.m., Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>> ... only rant, is annoying. There are a lot of work to do
>

> If I understood well you are saying: "don't annoy us, we are working, we
> don't have time to think".

I don't think that is what Gonzalo was saying at all. I think his was
a call for action. We've heard many times from Carlos that teachers
feel alienated from the Sugar developer community. (At times it is
suggested that this is deliberate on behalf of the developers, but I
hope you will concede the fact that we have made efforts towards
dialog.) What is missing are concrete proposals that are actionable.

Here are a few suggestions:

(1) In Australia, the teachers use a social-networking site called
Yammer. Developers know to go to Yammer to communicate directly with
the teachers. Is there a social-networking site in your country where
the teachers gather? If so, we could hang out with them there. (I've
asked this question many times in the past and never gotten an answer.
Perhaps you or Carlos could investigate?)

(2) Get the word out that we have weekly meetings of the Learning
Team. The meeting is conducted in Spanish and it includes teachers
from all of the major Sugar deployments and many of the smaller ones.
Developers attend these meetings as well. They are logged and
documented [1] and have been the source of bidirectional feedback.
Over the past month, for example, we have been discussing the Journal
and have prepared a collection of feature proposals [2] for the next
Sugar release.

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Chat_Espanol_2011
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Journal_features_for_0.96

> Sugarlabs members are not workers on the assembly line of the Ford Company.
>
> I thought that the best thing was first of all think, then work.

Some problems are too difficult to think through to their entirety.
Sometimes one has to engage in a process of iteration. In any case,
feedback is necessary.

regards.

-walter

> Paolo Benini