[IAEP] SugarLabs Candidacy - Supporting Info

Nicholas Doiron ndoiron at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 15 16:47:20 EST 2011

I want to follow up on requests made for candidates to have plans if
elected to the SugarLabs board.  To keep it short, I'll write three lists
with two items each.

1) Outreach to other education programs

- Mozilla Drumbeat. Connect http://hackasaurus.org and Mozilla's growing
education community with our Sugar community.
- Citizen science groups. When I was supporting an OLPC class in
Cambridge, Cornell's program was interested but wanted to reach more Sugar
users.

2) Supporting science classrooms

- Explain how to build simple sensors for programs such as Flower Bridge (
recently featured on http://blog.laptop.org )
- Write lesson plans for experiments that use only a few materials, such
as these: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Ndoiron/SocialCalc also available
in Mongolian: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Ndoiron/SocialCalc/Mongolian

3) Encouraging literacy over the web

- Identify English and Spanish reading materials appropriate for school,
and make the list prominent on SugarLabs wiki and homepage.
- Suggest materials from NaNoWriMo, get students' work posted on school
servers or on a major deployment's website
http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/how-does-nanowrimo-work-for-educators

Regards,
Nick Doiron