[IAEP] Video player for wiki.sugarlabs.org

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Thu Nov 10 13:20:20 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 00:18 -0500, Chris Leonard wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Bernie Innocenti
> <bernie at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 03:12 +0000, Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn
>         wrote:
>         >
>         >
>         > And... Why not use Adobe Flash? Problems with the license?
>

>         Yes, it's not even redistributable. Besides, there's no ARM
>         version for
>         the XO-1.75.
>
>         And even if both problems were solved, flash is typically too
>         slow to
>         play videos on hardware as the XO-1. On the XO-1.5 it's barely
>         acceptable for low resolution videos.
>

> Gnash overcomes the redistribution issue, but not necessarily the
> performance ones.

Yes. Quite frankly, Gnash is still so bad that it'd be inclined to
remove it altogether from XO distributions.

One could make a case that half-broken flash support is still better
than nothing, but I think it makes us look worse than systems like iOS
and Android which don't provide flash at all.

Moreover, some video sites detect the presence of flash and use it
instead of HTML5 <video>. Daily Motion is one of these.

> Sugar Labs has friends in the Gnash community we could ask about this,
> they've been working (with some sucecss, I think) on XO 1.75
> implemetnation and of course, we do host their PO files for L10n, and
> have recently upstreamed a number of completed L10ns.

I use Gnash on my computer and I report bugs to the developers from time
to time. Though, after so many years of development, I'm starting to
suspect that HTML5 will make Flash irrelevant before Gnash replaces it.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team