[IAEP] NSF Grants

Brooks, Kevin Kevin.Brooks at ndsu.edu
Sun Nov 6 12:15:28 EST 2011

Walter described and linked to the NSF / USAID PEER program, which I checked out.  The program is targeting Indonesia, the Phillipines and Lebanon right now, and the categories of projects did not immediately strike me as Sugar project. I did find, however, NSF's K-12 Discovery Grant that seems ideal: http://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=500047&org=NSF&sel_org=NSF&from=fund

The grant calls for a research question to be answered. How about:

"What's the best way to teach a 5th grader "proceduracy"?

I can imagine setting up a couple of different curricula and testing them out: a Sugar path and an Apps path. I'm sure there are more paths; others who know more could chime in. I am interested in any collaborations along these lines with any in the Sugar community. We are running an after school Tech Team in Fargo so we have a place to try our curricular models.

Kevin
http://fargoxo.wordpress.com.