[IAEP] I am so excited I can hardly stand it - how about a Daisy Reader too?

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Tue May 31 12:07:11 EDT 2011

Marilyn,

The only free source of material in Daisy format that I know of is the
Internet Archive.  For example, one of the books I donated:

http://www.archive.org/details/BigAviationBookForBoys

Looking at the Daisy file it seems to have no advantage over a plain
text file.  I understand that there *are* advantages.  For instance,
if you are blind you can get Daisy format books from IA for books not
in the public domain.  However, from a technical standpoint you could
take the XML file inside the Daisy file, strip out the XML tags, and
load it into Read Etexts and you'd have most of what a real Daisy
reader would give you, at least as far as IA books are concerned.  (IA
books are created by doing OCR on photographed book pages.  The OCR is
high quality but far from perfect).

To make a Daisy reader desirable you'd need a free source of high
quality Daisy files which could not give you a plain text version of
the same content.

Its possible I'm missing something here.  I'm not a Daisy expert.

James Simmons