[IAEP] [Argentina] [Sur] Planet Sugarlabs Latinoamerica

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Mon May 30 12:47:02 EDT 2011

[cc += iaep]

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 11:43 -0400, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> Is there a way for a reader to filter the feed, to get just entries in Spanish?
>
> Can we add an automatic translation button?
>
> Would anybody be willing to commit to some amount of translation in
> either direction?

The planet is looking for a committed editor who would:

1. Process syndication requests, checking that the new feed contains
only articles relevant to Sugar, Sugar activities or deployments using
Sugar: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sysadmin/Planet_syndication_request

2. Contact the owners of dead feeds and possibly drop them:
http://planet.sugarlabs.org/validate.html

3. Promote quality, not quantity. Sometimes, feed owners think it's cool
to tag stories about their personal life as "sugar". I usually write
them in private to remind them that they have to stay on topic.

4. Refresh the visual look of the Planet. The current CSS is just
dreadful and need to be redesigned or replaced altogether.

5. We probably need to add a separate feed for content in Spanish. I
don't believe in automated translations, but maybe we could provide a
link which goes through Google Translator.

6. Improve the software. We're currently using a simple RSS aggregator
called Planet Venus, which is easy to deploy and customize, but lacks
advanced features.

7. As with any other volunteer position in our community, remember to
step down responsibly when you no longer have time to contribute.

Until we appoint a new Planet Master, I occasionally dedicate some time
to maintain the planet, but I don't consider myself a proper editor.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team