[IAEP] Texas Senate Bills 866 & 867 regarding dyslexia passed over the weekend

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon May 30 09:21:14 EDT 2011

Actually, Read Etexts already has a built-in downloader for Gutenberg
Etexts.  Just open it from the Activity ring (instead of resuming an
existing text) and you'll see the Gutenberg-specific downloader.

It is much easier to implement text highlighting on a plain text file
than it is on a PDF, EPUB, DJVu, etc.  Speech is easy.  It's knowing
how to do the highlighting that's difficult.

Now that PG is distributing EPUBs maybe support for plain text files
is less important, other than TTS with highlighting.  I was scratching
my own itch when I originally wrote it.  I wanted to read free e-books
on my XO and the only thing Read supported was PDFs.  If I had known
about Feedbooks, which converts the plain text files from PG to PDFs I
probably would not have written it.  (In fact, if the Kindle had been
cheaper when it first came out I might not have participated in OLPC
at all).

PG text download is done using a built in book catalog that is created
from a text catalog of books that PG updates now and then.  OPDS
support for downloading plain text files would be a lot better, but
there was no such thing when I wrote it.

I'm pleased that Gonzalo is working on improving Read.  I'm working on
a book on using e-books with Sugar and it looks like I'll need to
check out his latest work before I can finish it.  If he can make Read
Etexts totally unnecessary it will live on as sample code in "Make
Your Own Sugar Activities!" at least.

Read Etexts also has multiple bookmarks, annotations, and text
highlighting, and if the paragraphs aren't too long it will remove the
line endings from PG texts so they can be re-wrapped to fit the screen
and font size.  It will even convert Baen Free Library RTFs to plain
text files, another dubious feature now that Baen has EPUBs.

James Simmons