[IAEP] OLPC Contributors Program Mtg (on #olpc-meeting, 2PM Boston Time, Fri May 20)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri May 20 13:31:07 EDT 2011

Please join us in 30 MIN, voting for the latest OLPC/Sugar community
projects over IRC Live Chat, to make the best project allocations &
mentoring relationships--starting right here:

http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

AGENDA:

* Fast Review of the 5 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals.
   Plz join us advocating for & reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

   1. Marysville Rotary XO Literacy Project - Guatemala / Marysville, WA
   2. Community Health Information for OLPC - Montara, CA
   3. Project VOICE - Philippines / Wantagh, NY
   4. ClassContribute, a homework / gradebook app - Eastchester, NY
   5. OLPC Tuva - Tiburon CA, Russia

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

1. Marysville Rotary XO Literacy Project - Guatemala / Marysville, WA
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=79572
    http://www.marysvillerotary.org/literacyXOproject
http://olpcMAP.net?id=884001
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 6-8 XOs over 2-3 months

    Project Objectives:
    Determine if the XO Laptop systems will provide an educational
    environment needed to improve both the education level in our local
    early child learning program and if these systems can become a valuable
    educational instrument in the rural / poverty areas of Guatemala. Also,
    to determine if it is possible to have both a simple "Sugar"
programming
    and a vocational repair facility at our Technology High School, thus
    expanding the educational and learning spectrum across many age groups.

2. Community Health Information for OLPC - Montara, CA
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=79823
    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/WiRED-CHI
    http://wiredinternational.org
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2 XO-1s and 2 XO-1.5s over 2+ months

    Project Objectives:
    This request is for two/three laptops to use as test and demonstration
    tools in a project to provide interactive health training programs
    through WiRED’s community health information (CHI) project. We seek
    to load and test our software on these machines as prototypes for a
    larger program involving OLPC computers. The complete software
    (health topics, auxiliary health libraries, search and access tools)
    will be provided without charge to OLPC for use in its global work.
    See a sample at
    http://www.itnhealth.net/CHIC2/presentations/50/player.html

3. Project VOICE - Philippines & Wantagh, NY
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=80245
    http://olpcMAP.net?id=883002
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 1 XOs over 12 months

    Project Objectives:
    The goal of Project VOICE is to foster literacy, opinion and expression
    in underprivileged Filipino youth living in the Philippines. This
goal can
    be divided into two sub-goals, namely: to teach English from a young
age in
    order to develop a strong command of the language at an older age,
and, in
    older, literate youth, encourage expression and journalism, and the
    formation of opinions and the sharing of ideas, especially regarding
social
    issues.

    To these ends, we list the following practical benchmarks and
    concrete objectives of the project:

    A. To develop an open-source English language teaching software,
similar to
    Rosetta Stone, that is lightweight and optimized to run on XO's, and
that is
    custom-tailored to the unique needs of children in the poorer
regions of the
    Philippines and elsewhere.  B. To deploy and conduct a pilot
    program in a test school in the Philippines.  C. To develop or port an
    open-source journalism tool for the XO.  D. To deploy and conduct
    a pilot program in a test school in the Philippines for this tool.

4. ClassContribute, a homework / gradebook app - Eastchester, NY
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=80592
    http://olpcMAP.net?id=893001
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 1 XO-1 and 1 XO-1.5 over ~6 months

    Project Objectives:
    I want to be able to have a HTML (in browser) way for a teacher to
    post individual student grades, as well as interactive homework
    assignments. I also want to implement an “E-Mail your Teacher”
    section, where a student could choose a specific topic for which
    they could contact their teacher.

5. OLPC Tuva - Tiburon CA, Russia
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=81063
    http://olpctuva.wordpress.com
    http://olpcMAP.net?id=892003
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2 XO-1.5s over 12 months

    Project Objectives: (excerpts)
    Primary project will be: Translation of the Sugar learning platform
    into Tuvan (where appropriate)

    Secondary project will be to incorporate Measure activity into the
    study of throat-singing tradition from Tuva.