[IAEP] The XOrobots in Montevideo

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri May 20 13:19:35 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I have some photos and a short video that I took of the robot project they showed us in Montevideo.  The file size of the email with all of them attached is to large and many of your email servers are bouncing it back.  So I will send the files individually in separate files.  I hope they come through that way!
The project was done by a group of engineering students at one of the universities there.  Their website address shows in one of the photos. I've also included screenshots of the code they wrote to make it happen.  It is written in "Turtle Art".... a version of Logo.  How's your Spanish?

Here is a guide to the attachments:

XOrobots1.avi: A movie showing two of the robots in action.  One starts around the oval, senses the other one waiting and stops. The other senses the first one and starts around the oval and goes until it reaches the first one. Then the process proceeds.  The robots are programmed to go only where the surface is black.  If they are put in one of the black floor tiles, they continue moving about within the square, but never leave it.

XOrobots2.jpg and XOrobot4.jpg: screenshots of the TurtleArt code written to make it work.

XOrobot3.jpg: A still shot of a single XOrobot going around the circle. Shows their website address.

XOrobot5.jpg: A shot of the wheeled platform with the XO removed.

Looks like fun doesn't it!

Caryl