[IAEP] Back Up Your Data!

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 23:19:56 EDT 2011

Hi All...

Here is my sad story.  It's worse than losing my iPod in Buenos Aires. The hard drive on my Mac died on the ferry from Montevideo to Buenos Aires on Sunday. It was terminal.

Got back to the US today and Apple Care is still in effect (26 more days!) So they installed a new one for me.

Now I am trying to "rebuild" my desktop and find a data recovery place where I can rescue all of my photos, presentations, etc. from the dead drive.  It may cost as much as a new computer.

I used to backup my files regularly, but when my external drive got full, I stopped and, in spite of the warnings my Mac kept giving me, I didn't do the backups. How foolish!  A couple of hundred dollars for a really large hard drive would have been far less than the $1000+ it may cost to recover the data.  Still trying to decide if it is worth it or see if there is a less expensive way.

The folks at Apple said the failure may have been caused by a power surge, possibly from the 220/240 current in Argentina and Uruguay, which the Mac is supposed to be able to handle.  They said the failure wouldn't be instant, but could come a few days later.

So, hopefully, you can all learn from my mistake. Back up your data!

A Very Contrite Caryl
P.S. This is why I haven't posted photos or blogged in the last couple of days.  The shared computers at the hostel were only good for quick emails and there was no way to post photos.  I should be able to do something now that I at least have a working computer.