[IAEP] Raspberry Pi

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat May 7 21:30:55 EDT 2011

Why not ask? info at raspberrypi.org

I am sure that the developer isn't so much cutting corners as building a
"give away" educational platform for children to tinker and play with using
items they could easily buy or source in a home. Yes, it is a toy .. so is a
tiny hammer used for crafting.

Even though our students are sophisticated in putting media to work for
them, they are also naïve about how it works on them or on a deeper level,
how it actually works inside.
     http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/334/

Regards Roland

On 8 May 2011 10:45, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Lucian Branescu
> <lucian.branescu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have an Efika MX Netbook
> > (http://www.genesi-usa.com/products/smartbook) running Ubuntu and
> > Sugar seems to work fine.
> >
> > However, as awesome as it is, I don't believe Raspberry Pi has enough
> > RAM to run Sugar very well, if at all.
>
> I would agree. They seem to have taken a number of cut corners to make
> the device hit a pricepoint for marketing as opposed to use. 128Mb RAM
> and 1 USB port is pretty useless, and I would argue the same with no
> form of networking.
>
> Peter

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Keysborough Secondary College