[IAEP] Fundraising for Sugar Labs

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 15:04:24 EDT 2011

FLOSS Manuals has just gone live with its new booki software for
creating and translating Free Software manuals. I have written for
them on several projects. Booki is available to anybody, and I propose
to create a project in cooperation with Sugar Labs to take advantage
of this. Walter Bender agreed just moments ago.

http://www.crowdrise.com/Replacetextbooks/fundraiser/Mokurai

In addition, UNESCO has just started a public discussion on OERs in
global education, and invited me to lead a discussion on the economics
and financing of educating up to a billion children at a time with
low-cost computers and OERs. The major cost is for hardware, including
computers, locally-generated renewable electric power, and broadband
Internet to the villages. The benefits include ending poverty,
oppression, each of the kinds of misery detailed in the UN's
Millennium Development Goals program, and maybe war.

If you are interested in joining the discussion, I can get you an
invitation, and we can then invite other members of our various
projects with appropriate skills and interests.

The economic issues include general economic development, government
corruption, and the false and perverse economic theories so much
supported by multinational corporations, known generally as Market
Fundamentalism. We propose a new economics of sharing and freedom that
takes proper account of the conditions in which markets can be truly
free for everyone, not just Free for the rich, and too expensive for
the poor.

"If livin' was a thing that money could by,
Well then the rich would live and the poor would die..."

as they in fact do.

In particular, it isn't a Free Market if you are legally excluded from
getting into it by "nativist" immigration laws. (Native Americans
respond to the call to send all immigrants back to where they came
from, "I'll help you pack.")

http://www.earthtreasury.org/