[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Olidata computers in Uruguay

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 15:11:57 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Esteban Bordón
<ebordon at plan.ceibal.edu.uy> wrote:
>> > One of the most noticeable source for incompatibilities seems to be
>> > screen definition, 800x600 in the Olidata, and thus several Activities are
>> > cropped,
>
> Screen definition is 800x480 ...
>

>> Ouch, quite a few Activity toolbars will likely overflow at 800x600
>> (overflow widgets land in a drop down menu in the far right of the toolbar
>> that shows the text from the tool button hint only). The XO is a 1200x900
>> screen, about a year or two back there was general consensus that we should
>> try and make sure Activities worked well down too 1024x768 as that was
>> common in emulated environments and regular laptops/desktops.
>>
>> These 800x600 display machines will want to make sure they are running
>> Sugar using an environmental variable of  SUGAR_SCALING=72, this will shrink
>> the UI scale down to fit the lower screen resolution. SUGAR_SCALING
>> currently only has an effect at either 72 (works well for 800x600 and
>> 1024x768) or 100 (for 1200x900 or larger).

Hmm. I routinely run Sugar in a VM at 800x600 and it is -- with very
few exceptions -- working quite well. I've not tried 800x480 in a
while... not ideal, but it should generally work. Can you describe
some of the specific problems you are encountering?

-walter