[IAEP] Sugar minimum set

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Thu Jun 30 22:34:28 EDT 2011

mokurai at earthtreasury.org wrote:
> On Wed, June 29, 2011 2:29 pm, Valerie Taylor wrote:
>
>> Is there a minimum set of Sugar teacher/tutor training, hardware and
>> software that could be implemented by a community supported remedial
>> program that works with kids outside regular elementary school? Is
>> this something that could be considered and/or suggested?
>>

> That is a whole set of questions bundled up into one. XOs and their Sugar
> distributions are the minimum standard set. The maximum is whatever is
> currently on Activities.sugarlabs.org.
>
> You can buy individual used XOs on eBay for about $150 each. If some NGO
> would be willing to buy 10,000 units and make them available in smaller
> quantities to other NGOs, we could talk about all sorts of programs.
> Prices would likely be in the $200-$250 range. The initial investment
> would be about $2 million up front, with delivery date to be determined
> later. Nobody has so far been willing to operate on those terms.
>

>> A local program provides small group time as their primary learning
>> activities and has some computers that they use already. Most of the
>> software is the usual proprietary kids educational products. Their
>> regular program would lend itself to including basic Sugar Labs
>> Activities.
>>

> Sugar on a Stick

Besides to the fedora Soas Project,
You should look at this polished SugarLabs (Ubuntu Based) Project :
It uses alsroot's sugar sweets 0.88.1, and shares some features with
the XO-1 OLPC Dextrose software

*
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast#trisquel-sugar_4.5.1_i686
---More Information:
       http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Trisquel
---Importable Virtualbox appliance:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Emulator_image_files#Trisquel-Gnome-sugar_4.5_Release_Candidate
---dd write to 2 GB USB:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast#dd_writable_2GB_USB_.img
---Testing:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Community/Distributions/Trisquel#trisquel-sugar_4.5.1_i686

FYI Sugar-desktop is available in all of these Linux Distributions

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#Community_Distributions

Sugar-Activity Information is available from these links:
        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sck/activities

Tom Gilliard
satellit