[IAEP] Journal files

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Sun Jun 19 16:18:05 EDT 2011

On Sun, June 19, 2011 11:22 am, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 20 June 2011 00:30, Kevin Gordon <kgordon420 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I presume this doesn't do what you are looking for?  Doesn't scale
>> particulary elegantly, but I find it useful
>>
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Copy_to_and_from_the_Journal
>
> It does the basic job of copying to/from the Journal.
>
> However, it needs to be an easy GUI feature. Anything that requires a
> terminal is far beyond what we can expect a teacher or child to do.

I have recommended the Midnight Commander file manager for this purpose.

sudo yum install mc

It is a full-screen character-mode program that runs in Terminal, so it
needs no Sugarizing. Among its features are sorting, filtering, selecting
multiple items or groups of items, and two-click copying or moving of
selections, whether files or whole directories. We would need to write
some lesson plans in order to give this to children.

MC is not suitable for copying to and from the Journal, but it handles
everything in plain files, and simplifies using the scripts given on the
page you referenced.

See also

http://booki.flossmanuals.net/command-line/edit/

written for the Free Software Foundation. (I am one of the authors.)
Unlike conventional command-line textbooks and manuals for those planning
to be developers or sysadmins, this describes only what users need to
know. It is not directly suitable for young children, but again we could
use it as the basis for lesson plans.