[IAEP] "Positioning" of math: are we doing it wrong? Join the discussion Saturday 2pm ET

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 21:44:19 EDT 2011

New positioning of mathematics? Join Alexandre Borovik in the discussion of
his books and the fundamental issues in mathematics education.

*How to join*

   - Follow this link at the time of the event: *
   http://tinyurl.com/math20event<https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?password=M.FCAF787B38E30D58F943EB7232EE27>
   *
   - Saturday, June 18th 2011 we will meet in the LearnCentral online room
   at 11am Pacific, 2pm Eastern time. WorldClock for your time
zone.<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=6&day=18&year=2011&hour=14&min=00&sec=0&p1=207>
   - Click "OK" and "Accept" several times as your browser installs the
   software. When you see Elluminate Session Log-In, enter your name and click
   the "Login" button
   - If this is your first time, come a few minutes earlier to check out the
   technology. The room opens half an hour before the event.

All events in the Math 2.0 weekly series:
http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/events

About Alexandre Borovik <http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/%7Eavb/>
[image: Alexandre_Borovik.jpg]Alexandre writes:

For 30+ years I taught mathematics and methodology of mathematical education
at every level – from secondary school to foundation courses to mainstream
undergraduate courses to supervision of MSc dissertations in mathematical
education and PhD theses in mathematics. The last 15 years I worked at the
University of Manchester, where I am a Professor of Pure Mathematics (since
1998). I am a member of the Council and of the Education Committee of
the London
Mathematical Society <http://www.lms.ac.uk/> – the professional organisation
of British mathematicians.

My concerns about the state of the British education system led me to
organise a Discussion Meeting “Where will the next generation of UK
mathematicians come
from?<http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/%7Eavb/wherefrom.html>”
(Manchester, 2005). Since then, my activities in the area of education are
to some degree informed by the grim findings of that meeting.

My page at Academia.com
<http://manchester.academia.edu/AlexandreBorovik>contains a few my
texts on mathematics education -- have a look. Also, my
views on education are partially reflected in a
blog<http://micromath.wordpress.com/>“Mathematics under the
Microscope”.

Book: Mathematics under the
Microscope<http://www.ams.org/bookstore-getitem/item=mbk-71>:
Amer. Math. Soc., 2010. Sample chapters are available at the AMS
website<http://www.mrlonline.org/bookstore-getitem/item=MBK-71>
.
Book in progress: Shadows of the Truth: Metamathematics of Elementary
Mathematics <http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/%7Eavb/ST.pdf>