[IAEP] A Fraction A Day

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Fri Jun 17 00:01:38 EDT 2011

A small group of us are working on an OER for
OLPC<http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Replacing_Textbooks>and have chosen
the topic; Fractions

Here is where we need your help:

   -
   - Identify Models of Fractions and how we can present these different
   models in concrete forms as a kind of Fraction Exploratorium
   - Identify common mis-conceptions learners have about fractions and using
   them and identify ways of addressing these mis-conceptions.
   - Identify Activities we can use to teach fractions (I spend most of my
   time in Etoys, but we should use Turtle Art, Scratch and others)
   - Identify existing lessons we can refer to or re-render (ex:
   http://illuminations.nctm.org/LessonDetail.aspx?ID=U152)
   - Identify virtual manipulatives needed (I have cuisenaire rods and
   pattern blocks in Etoys, here is a nice one at
Illuminations<http://illuminations.nctm.org/activitydetail.aspx?id=80>
   )
   - Identify physical manipulatives that can be used (and id how can be
   easily and cheaply created by kids/teachers)
   - Identify no computer, concrete activities kids can do (ex: 1) Fold a
   paper in half and cut, 2) Label as 1 piece of X needed to make a whole
   sheet; repeat)
   - Create/Identify a lesson, manipulative, blog post or video each day.
   Okay ambitious, but do-able (for short sprints). It helps me keep the
   perfect from being the enemy of the good and gets me focused and moving.  I
   look at it as the equivalent of some writers practice of writing something
   every day.

Also am working on creating "A Fraction A
Day<http://mrstevesscience.blogspot.com/search/label/Fraction%20A%20Day>"
well  almost everyday, and guest posts/ideas/suggestions for improvement etc
are welcome.

Thanks,
Stephen