[IAEP] Years of beating doors...

nanonano at mediagala.com nanonano at mediagala.com
Thu Jun 16 13:54:46 EDT 2011

/>Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
 >...if you learn to do it yourself, as many years as it takes you to
learn.  If you are waiting for Sugar/OLPC
 > to change, possibly years without end.
-------------------------------------------------------/

Hi, Mikus:
MAybe  you don't know that here in Uruguay  it is IMPOSSIBLE to me and
to anyone else to change ANYTHING of the  Sugar of the XO.

Only who is in charge of the deployment in Uruguay can change the SUgar
of the XO. Only "plan ceibal" can change the Sugar.

--------------------------------

That is another complaint that we made for years and Years, and nobody
said NOTHING.

It is about the GLP Licence of the SUgar:  the licence don't permit to
do the things that are doing here in Uruguay.
 "PLan CEIBAL" don't let the owner of the XO to modify nothing on those
XO, we don't have the root password, we can't modify anything of the Sugar.

That thing it's AGAINST free software, AGAINST GPL licence, But the
"plan ceibal" do not care....

----------------------------

I know your next anwer, Mikus:

YOur answer will be:  " it is not OLPC problem, it is a problem of
Uruguay and Plan Ceibal, solve by yourselves".

No, it is not olnly a problem of Uruguay, it is not only a problem
thousand of miles away, it is a problem that someone  BROKED the GPL
Licence of sugar, so it is a problem that concerns Sugarlabs and OLPC also.

Paolo Benini
Montevideo

/

Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
 >> Please, tell how many years do I have to wait more to be upset.
 >
 > All I can do is tell you where I come from :
 >
 > I heard about the OLPC in 2007 and had an "aha!" moment - I saw the
OLPC as a way to provide "help through technology" to improve the lives
of the economically disadvantaged.  Ever since, I've championed the OLPC
as "a computer to be used by those who don't have one".  [When SugarLabs
split off, I told them to their faces what I thought - that their focus
seemed to be heading towards "an interface to be used by those who
already have a computer".]

 > Whenever someone says "I want the OLPC to run the same software as a
mainstream computer", my response has always been "so get a small
mainstream computer, and don't bother the OLPC".  Especially since
netbook prices have come down, it makes no sense to me when someone
wants to use an OLPC for mainstream applications - netbooks already run
mainstream software, have more processing capability than the OLPC, and
are (or will be) cheaper than the OLPC.

 > The two areas where I believe the OLPC is still competitive are
"survivability" and "miserliness".  I've heard of OLPCs continuing to
function in a dusty near-desert environment, where competing systems
clogged up and died.  And I've heard of OLPCs being usable in locations
40 kilometers from a power line, where the competing systems used up in
minutes all the (solar) electricity that had been generated.

 > What makes the OLPC an unsuitable platform for mainstream
applications is that it has VERY limited processing power, and not much
storage, either.  That does not mean that I myself cannot run such
applications -- but I would not expect a non-enthusiast to be happy with
what the off-the-shelf OLPC can deliver.  I myself use a "permanent" SD
card in every one of my XOs.  As well as data, that card stores
Activities (some 250 on-line), Linux multimedia applications, additional
software (Java, Adobe, many Browsers, a whole Geographic Information
System, etc.) -- plus a swap partition (meaning programs in the XO
rarely run out of memory).

 > To show that it can be done, I've even run distributed-processing
crunchers on my XOs (some 38 times slower on the XO-1 than on my big
Linux workstation).  My criterion for "how good is the video" is
YouTube, and always has been.  On the XO-1 YouTube is watchable, but it
is a "slideshow" (with pauses between each image).  On the XO-1.5, some
YouTube clips have smooth motion (at the lowest resolution), others are
"jerky".  With movies on a storage device accessible by the XO, I almost
always (using MPlayer) have "good" video and audio reproduction.
 > [I've installed on my XOs all the Linux&Windows codecs I could find.]
 >

 > My answer to the question "How many years to wait until something
gets accomplished?" -- if you learn to do it yourself, as many years as

/