[IAEP] [support-gang] Journal prompts (was: Re: FW: [OLPC Bolivia] No logro aprender Sugar / I cannot learn Sugar)

Kevin Mark kevin.mark at verizon.net
Thu Jun 16 03:51:47 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 08:16:23PM -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
<snip>

> > So what we seem to be left with at this point is a system which tries to
> > force users to add comments or tags even though there is very little
> > incentive or supportive mechanisms to actually do much with that metadata.
>
> One of my favorite examples of using a computer is school is a 1-to-1
> program at a middle school in Dorchester, MA. The kids spend five
> minutes writing at the end of *every* class, including gym. Even if
> they never use "that metadata", the act of reflecting is important.
>
> We do have some tools/supportive mechanisms for using that metadata,
> including the Portfolio activity. Have you tried it?

As someone who is not versed in educational theory, I have tried to understand
what intentions where put into Sugar. I have herd mention of Constructionism and
Constructivism and reflection. I could imagine writing after doing something as
a way to gain more from any activity, so that sounds like something any
deployment should do, but I dont know the total picture of what was expected.
And I dont know about what is or was done to convey these idea of reflection,
the journal, the writing and collaboration as part of an ecosystem to the
deployment educators. If this is being done, I'd like to learn about it and if
not, then what did I miss about what is told to deployments?

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|