[IAEP] [support-gang] FW: [OLPC Bolivia] No logro aprender Sugar / I cannot learn Sugar

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Wed Jun 15 23:02:23 EDT 2011

On Wed, June 15, 2011 12:12 pm, Walter Bender wrote:
> [...]
>>> Sugarized programs vs the normal linux programs , like the games that
>>> the children wants.  There are thousands of programs in Linux that
>>> don't uses the "Journal", so there are useless.
>>
>> This seems to be the common thread between here and earlier posts:
>>
>>  "I know how to run program ZZZ on a non-Sugar system.  Why can't I
>>   (easily/simply) put it on a Sugar system (for a kid who wants it)?"
>>
>>> I don't have to be Einstein to know that if the same problem continues
>>> after more 3 or four years, it is not only  technical problem.
>>
>> This is true.  My personal comment is that I haven't noticed "to run
>> programs like ZZZ" as among the goals of the OLPC.
>>
>> [I might *want* to marry a particular celebrity - but that doesn't mean
>> that
>> that celebrity would have "to marry Mikus" as one of her goals.]
>>
>> Does it mean the end of the world if the kid can't run ZZZ inside Sugar?
>>
>> Paolo - if you do not see other people planning to implement a goal of
>> run programs like ZZZ inside Sugar" - being upset at the existing
>> situation
>> does not help - try to figure out where in this situation changes might
>> be
>> feasible - then start beating on doors.
>>
>> mikus
>
> Mikus,
>
> Thanks for your summary. FWIW, I actually think it is important that
> Sugar plays well with the non-Sugar world, but it certainly wasn't an
> initial priority. There are a number of initiatives underway that will
> improve the situation; I mentioned a few in an early post, such as the
> ability to access and edit non-Sugar files directly from within the
> Sugar UI. Also, many, but not every, Sugar activities will run within
> both Sugar and the GNOME desktop.
>
> The eventual transition to GNOME 3.0 and PYGI will make a big
> difference in our ability to support more interoperability as well.
>
> All of that said, let me repeat an argument I made regarding the Sugar
> Journal during the EduJam summit last month: we developed the Journal
> not because we wanted to be incompatible with the rest of the world
> but because we wanted to address some pedagogical needs. Specifically,
> we want the children to have a place to reflect upon their work. The
> Journal is their portfolio. Reflection requires effort and some
> developers consider the prompts to write in the Journal as an
> annoyance. But when I ask those same developers if they think adding a
> commit message to their commits in git, they immediately understand
> the value. So some of the annoyance of the Journal is because we have
> not completely solved the UI issues (the good news is that Simon has
> some patches landing that fix some of these issues) but some of the
> annoyance is because we want to make the path of least resistance be
> one where the children are prompted to be reflective-- to write in
> their "lab notebooks" about what they are doing and why

This is the approach I take in Discovering Discovery, to an even greater
extent.

http://booki.treehouse.su/discovering-discovery/

> and to make
> presentations to their teachers, parents, and fellow students about
> their work. (The latter is facilitated by the new Portfolio activity.)

I would like to receive Portfolios of whatever people don't understand or
think works wrong, with detailed comments. We will incorporate them into
Sugar documentation and into the Replacing Textbooks curriculum.