[IAEP] FW: [OLPC Bolivia] No logro aprender Sugar / I cannot learn Sugar why would YOU want to?

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Wed Jun 15 17:03:48 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 15 2011, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Maybe it's just me but I replied how I felt as I read what was written.
>> So, I still want to know what his purpose is for spending time with the
>> olpc? Based on what I read, he sees the apple as our competitor. I could
>> have done without the apple promo.
>
> Well, Sugar as installed on the XO is much less polished and versatile
> than most other operating systems in wider use. Carlos simply compared
> Sugar to the OS most familiar to him. His point would still be mostly
> valid had he compared it to $YOUR_FAVORITE_OS.

Well, not really.  Consider:

   Let's imagine now that Debian directors decide to save money by
   firing all the great programmers they employ, dedicated to write
   their operating systems.  Let´s imagine they decide that a group of
   volunteers, worldwide, with a horizontal organization without chiefs,
   is the latest model in modern business management.  What would
   happen?  How much longer would Debian survive?  Days?  Hours?

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>   <http://printf.net/>
One Laptop Per Child