[IAEP] FW: [OLPC Bolivia] No logro aprender Sugar / I cannot learn Sugar why would YOU want to?

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 16:22:39 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Kenneth Wyrick <kmw at caltek.net> wrote:
> Oh! Ok I get that, now. Also, view my comments as a gut level response as
> a newbie to this project who is looking for specific constructive dialog
> instead of generalities that are easily thrown around.
>
> Maybe it's just me but I replied how I felt as I read what was written.
> So, I still want to know what his purpose is for spending time with the
> olpc? Based on what I read, he sees the apple as our competitor. I could
> have done without the apple promo.

I can't claim to speak to Carlos's concerns.   My comment was more
about the reaction to his posting than to his posting itself.  My
point was that his critique should not be dismissed out-of-hand, but
needs to be explored in more depth, ideally in his native language and
on the lists where he originally posted it.

We have all had to be "talked off the ledge" at one point or another
with Sugar or OLPC frustrations.  Often the important thing to bring
someone back into the fold is just to let them know that tthey have
been heard and to validate their frustrations (to the extent you can).
 It is my impression that the prodigals who return to the family often
make the most dedicated volunteers, it just takes some patience and
understanding to hear them out and really get to the root of their
concerns.

cjl