[IAEP] Live, interactive discussion today: "Mathematician's Lament" at 3pm ET

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 06:52:23 EDT 2011

"Mathematician's Lament": The conversation continues
David Wees and Richard DeMerchant will facilitate an open, interactive
discussion about the Lament, one of the central social objects in math ed
conversations of the last decade.

*How to join*

   - Follow this link at the time of the event: *
   http://tinyurl.com/talkmathbc*
   - Thursday, June 9th 2011 we will meet in the LearnNowBC online room at
   noon Pacific, 3pm Eastern time. WorldClock for your time
zone.<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=6&day=9&year=2011&hour=15&min=0&sec=0&p1=207>
   - Click "OK" and "Accept" several times as your browser installs the
   software. When you see Elluminate Session Log-In, enter your name and click
   the "Login" button
   - If this is your first time, come a few minutes earlier to check out the
   technology. The room opens half an hour before the event.

All events in the Math 2.0 weekly series:
http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/events
About the project Paul Lockhart wrote his "Lament" in 2002, and since then
it's been a focal point for gathering and strengthening threads of meaning
and significance in mathematics education. You can read the original
"Lament" as a PDF document
online<http://www.maa.org/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf>,
or its expanded version, edited by Keith Devlin, as a paper
book<http://www.amazon.com/Mathematicians-Lament-School-Fascinating-Imaginative/dp/1934137170>
.

Event Hosts  *[image: DavidWees.jpeg]David Wees* writes: My life since I
graduated from teacher training in 2002 has been an never ending adventure.
I have lived in 4 different countries since then and have met the love of my
life and we started our family. I wouldn't trade a moment of it, despite
some of the difficulties I have faced. At my website <http://davidwees.com/>,
I showcase projects I have been involved in. I also write articles about
incorporating technology into teaching which is a major passion of mine.
  [image: RVD.jpg]
*Richard DeMerchant* writes: I have a passion for mathematics education that
I have carried with me as I worked across the west and northern parts of
Canada. Working as a teacher, vice principal and curriculum developer for
three Ministries of Education I look forward to my next foray back to the
classroom in the fall. I see social media as a tool for continuing my
professional growth. You can check out the latest thoughts on my
blog<http://rvdemerchant.wordpress.com/>or follow me on Twitter (
@rvdemerchant <http://twitter.com/#%21/rvdemerchant>).