[IAEP] Etoys Videos for Khan Academy

TONY ANDERSON tony_anderson at usa.net
Sun Jun 5 16:05:48 EDT 2011

I think the Khan Academy environment needs to be rehosted on a school server.
In many deployments, schools do not have consistent broadband access to the
internet. The school server provides the main storage via a 3.5" hard drive
while the XO storage (1GB) can be thought of as a cached with the material
currently being used by the student.

I would be very interested in seeing the exercises and profile aspects of the
Khan Academy rehosted to the school server. So far the downloads that I have
are limited to the videos - do you know of any way to download the rest of the
site?

You suggest that you have an alternate way to provide these exercises. I would
certainly be interested in technical details (as an example I tried to
generate addition problems involving operands of four digits or less (based on
curriculum requirements, don't ask about the mathematical foundation). I
discovered that random about 90% of random four digit numbers have four
digits!

The Siyavula materials (http://cnx.org/lenses/siyavula) are available under
Creative Commons and give a representative example of textbook/workbooks that
could be remapped to the XO. It is interesting that these textbooks (and many
others) are very week in introducing concepts - they give no motivation,
provide a couple of worked examples, and many exercises. The motivation and
introduction are left to the classroom teacher. This is where the Khan Academy
videos fill a real need.

Tony