[IAEP] DesignBlocks

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jun 5 00:43:44 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 23:45 -0400, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Bernie Innocenti
> <bernie at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>         A replacement for Scratch written in JavaScript /
>         ActionScript:
>
>          http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evhan55/designblocks-visual-programming-for-artists
>
>         Looks promising, and the author is in Cambridge MA, where I
>         live. Does
>         anyone know her?
>

> No, but she's a former member of the Scratch team at the Media Lab.
> "JavaScript" is a bit misleading; her software is written in flash.

indeed, but the KickStarter entry also reads:

 However, in order for DesignBlocks to become more robust and complete,
 it needs more features, plenty of bug fixes and it needs to be ported
 to JavaScript/HTML5 (for mobile access). This summer, I'd like to work
 on DesignBlocks to get it to a suitable state for widespread testing.

Doesn't it sound reasonable? I'd like to get in contact with Evelyn
Eastmond to ask how she's planning to make it happen, and if she'd like
to work with the Sugar community to package DesignBlocks as an activity.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team