[IAEP] [squeakland] Etoys Video's for Khan Academy

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:40:37 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 19:26, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi...
> Been on the road for a few days and Mac was in the shop before that, so I am
> a little late with this.
> Why are you all trying to reinvent the wheel?

This is a pernicious myth, as you can find out by trying to put a mill
wheel on your car. We do not take "good enough" as a final answer when
we can see possibly better ways. In this we are just the same as Free
Software programmers who may wish to fork a package and work on it in
a different direction than the previous developers.

> The Khan Academy videos are
> all available in ogg form and play just fine offline on an XO in Jukebox
> from a usb stick.  I would suggest, instead, putting the followup activities
> from their website into Etoys.  It is these activities where students
> progress and get little virtual awards and the like.

Oh, we will, but we will also transform them, following Marvin Minsky:
You don't understand anything unless you understand it in more than
one way.

> Please read our blog about this. Raj Baberwal wrote a great piece about the
> Khan Academy and, in my reply, I told how to use the videos on the XO
> without the internet (which he plans to do in India). I tested it to be sure
> it works. It does. Here is a link to our
> blog: http://famliolpcsocalaudubonms.wordpress.com/
> Scroll down to the 4th post (April 15, 2011). Be sure to click on my comment
> to get the simple instructions and link you need to do it. There is some
> other nice stuff there too... not about the Khan Academy but about the great
> things the 3 volunteers from the olpc-SoCal list are doing with these young
> people.

I would like to get their work into the Sugar Labs Replacing Textbooks
project that I am manager of. Would you introduce us?