[IAEP] Texas Senate Bills 866 & 867 regarding dyslexia passed over the weekend

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Fri Jun 3 11:10:01 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
<sridhar at laptop.org.au>wrote:

> On 3 June 2011 22:01, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Evince (the library used to read PDF) has changed the interface too, then
> > does not have sense support the old toolbar.
>
> I don't think I understand - how do the toolbars in Evince affect the
> Read activity? Doesn't Read just use the Evince libraries and not the
> Evince GUI?

No. I means if we supported the old toolbar, Read activity will not work
anyway
because the Evince library has changed.

> > May be in a few months you can update to 11.2 and use a lot of new
> features,
>
> Updating thousands of XOs scattered across our 7.6m km^2 continent is
> not a task to be taken lightly. We cannot upgrade them all without
> some serious planning, and we aren't going to do so just for an
> activity. No doubt, other deployments face similar challenges.

Yes, I understand it.
In most cases, I try to provide backward compatibility. In this case, we
have new functionality
for example text to speech, enabled by packages included in the os.
Then supporting old/new toolbar, new/old evince and wth/without text to
speech
does the code and the testing a nightmare.

> Are there any technical limitations in making this activity run on the
> current OLPC OS?

No. If you want sent patches to add compatibility, I can review them.

Gonzalo