[IAEP] Proposed New K-12 Science Framework

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Thu Jul 28 03:56:45 EDT 2011

On Tue, July 26, 2011 1:21 am, Chris Leonard wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Since it has a total of 270 pages, and I just finished downloading it
>> (chapter by chapter), I can't comment on the contents. But, this should
>> be
>> fuel for some interesting discussions in the next few weeks if the rest
>> of
>> you take the time to download and take an in depth look at what is
>> there.
>
> You may need to create a login, but the full book as a single PDF is
> at this link.
>
> http://download.nap.edu/cart/download.cgi?&record_id=13165&free=1

Got it. Thanks. I was able to access it as a guest.

I have only read the first few chapters of the report. It has a number of
excellent features, such as

* insistence on teaching how science is actually done

* recognition that "Children Are Born Investigators"

* the importance of connecting to children's prior experience and capacity
for deep thought

However, what I have read so far suggests important lacks in understanding
of these very principles, along with other matters dealing with the nature
of science, engineering, and technology. The greatest deficiency seems to
be in treating of these topics in isolation from mathematics on one side
and from social semisciences, particularly anthropology, economics, and
politics, on the other.

I will have more to say about this when I have gone through the whole
document.