[IAEP] Gordon Hamilton's "Million Dollar Problems" for grades 7-12: tonight at 9:30pm ET, live&interactive online!

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 10:11:16 EDT 2011

Math Pickle: Million-dollar problems with grades 7 to 12During the event,
Gordon Hamilton will talk about solving real million-dollar problems with
middle and high school students.

The recording will be at
http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/MathPickleGrades7to12

All events in the Math 2.0 weekly series:
http://mathfuture.wikispaces.com/events
*How to join*

   - Follow this link at the time of the event: *
   http://tinyurl.com/math20event<https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?password=M.FCAF787B38E30D58F943EB7232EE27>
   *
   - Wednesday, July 27th 2011 we will meet in the LearnCentral online room
   at 6:30pm Pacific, 9:30pm Eastern time. WorldClock for your time
zone.<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=7&day=27&year=2011&hour=21&min=30&sec=0&p1=207>
   - Click "OK" and "Accept" several times as your browser installs the
   software. When you see Elluminate Session Log-In, enter your name and click
   the "Login" button
   - If this is your first time, come a few minutes earlier to check out the
   technology. The room opens half an hour before the event.

About Math Pickle Math Pickle <http://www.mathpickle.com/> is a professional
development site for K-12 mathematics teachers. It uses videos to showcase
fantastic problems that deserve to be in every classroom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxIBYs_MJuU

The particular emphasis of the site is on inviting students, even young
kids, to work on unsolved problems in mathematics. Gordon writes: "My goal,
together with the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences, is to
establish $1,000,000 prize money for each of 13 unsolved problems of
mathematics - one for each grade K-12. The prize money to be split between
the person who solves the problem and their most inspirational K-12
teacher."

Event Host [image: GordonHamilton.jpg]
I’m *Dr. Gordon Hamilton*. I’m a mathematician who found a passion for K-12
mathematics classrooms. There is nothing I enjoy more than visiting classes,
talking to teachers, stumping students and having them stump me.
[image: external image droppedImage_5.jpg]
I’ve spent three years full time as the resident mathematician in a private
school in Calgary, Alberta, Canada which is where I learned about the
greatest problem that teachers face: “How to deal with the spectrum of
student ability?” The Math Pickle site and all of my professional
development workshops aim to help teachers solve this problem.
[image: external image droppedImage_3.jpg]
As well as a mathematician and educator I am also a board game designer and
founding member of the Game Artisans of Canada. I design many games for K-12
mathematics classrooms so these two worlds overlap.
[image: external image droppedImage_4.jpg]
As if that wasn’t enough, I’m also a full time husband and father to two
pre-schoolers. If you think teaching 30 kids is difficult - try teaching two
;)
[image: external image droppedImage.jpg]

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math