[IAEP] Alternative 'favorites view' as an intro to programming

Rita Freudenberg rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Jul 21 05:24:34 EDT 2011

Hi Chris,

do the students have former experience with programming? If not, I would show them Etoys or Turtle Art first, so that they have an understanding of what it means to send commands to the computer. Then you could built on this and starting to be more abstract about how you can send commands to the computer using text in files instead of tiles in a graphical environment.
I think that the most difficult thing here is to get the students make the connection between the text they type and what happens on the computer. My own experience is not with 4th or 5th graders, but university students, and it takes some time for them to get it.

Greetings,
Rita