[IAEP] Material for XO math+literacy project in Kenya

ana.cichero ana.cichero at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 00:52:09 EDT 2011

- Abacus, a tool for teaching number places, fractions, and different bases:
> http://activities.sugarlabs.**org/en-US/sugar/addon/4293<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4293>
>

> __

I hadn t played Abacus before this mail. It is great learning maths game.
Just trying to make the same number on the different preset abacus is fun
;-)

Abacus could had made a difference for some of my past year students that in
first year of secondary school didn t managed decimal system to the point of
not knowing how to make amounts of money with money papers... Hard picture.

You have 2 or 3 of that students per 25/35 children class you cannot really
pay atention to them.
As they are not the kind of pupil that has a background home, with a desktop
an a pencil and a rubber (usually there are too many in a room for
developing intellectual activities), having this kind of tool for the xo
(ceibalita) is very good and really makes a difference when you -as teacher-
promote it s use as homework task, for e.g.

I hope some teacher at some school gets to use Abacus where esential :)

Count me in for translating the wiki or for making some class planification
that fits with schooling structure, it can be for 1st year of secondary as I
worked with in 2010 for example.

Ana.

ps.
Working among early grades students is harder and it less payed-- because
traditionally upper grade studying needed society stimulation.
In uruguay 2ndary teachers is a strictly ordered set ( 19 lists, one for
each region) , and in that order is invited to choose --every year--- the
grade and the school to work. Nobody wants to work with early years of
public hisghschool having other choice...
(system could help education a lot with some really little changes, but as
little changes don t make political issues, nobody promotes them)