[IAEP] Gmail & other Google TOS

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 23:46:36 EDT 2011

I was the author/maintainer of the Gmail activity. Easy enough to
breath new life into it. When I was still at OLPC back in 2007, I had
negotiated a deal such that our user base could not only use gmail,
but also use it for backup.

Is there a link to the TOS argeement you mention? Maybe worth
discussing with them.

-walter

On 7/20/11, Yamandu Ploskonka <yamaplos at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am unsure if at any moment we have been encouraging kids to have a
> google account.  I do recall there was a very useful Gmail Activity,
> which eventually was not part of Sugar anymore.  I apologize if this has
> been dicussed earlier.
>
> Anyway, I just learned that Google appears to take as a serious breach
> of their TOS if an under-13 uses their services, to the point of
> deleting their data, etc.
>
> So far it is probably mostly a don't ask don't tell kind of thing, but
> there are some pathetic horror stories around, of kids that had their
> stuff locked.  I wonder if something similar happens with blogger and such?
>
> Should we warn our users?  When signing up for Google I do not recall
> having it ask my age, though I guess it was part of the TOS you're
> supposed to read and you agree to anyway... Maybe I did, but anyway,
> there you go.
>
> Yama

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs