[IAEP] Alternative 'favorites view' as an intro to programming

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:08:34 EDT 2011

Editing favoritesview.py from the terminal can be fun if you're also
first teaching them about what a filesystem is, and where files are on
the system.

If you're trying to hide that complexity from them, this can be a bit
too magical (and yes, typo prone)

SJ

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Christopher Lindgren
<Chris.Lindgren at my.ndsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi, everyone,
>
> This is my first time emailing this list, but I've been reading for awhile
> now. I was wondering if I could request some help with an idea that I was
> thinking about doing with my SoaS project.
>
> I want to provide an engaging mini-lesson introducing the architecture of
> Sugar (python) to 4th and 5th graders. To do so, I thought that the
> favorites view modification would be a fun way to show them how there is
> code underneath this GUI, and you can change the code to change the WYSIWYG.
>
> Anyways, I am wondering how to go about this, using the latest mirabelle
> soas image? I have seen this wiki page:
> (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hacking_Sugar#Emulation_Images), but I do not
> know how to view this source file. I only know how to do the "View Source"
> for the activities in Sugar.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Best,
>
> Chris Lindgren | fargoxo.wordpress.com

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266