[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Turn your frequency generator into a super powerful mosquito repeller

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 18:27:54 EDT 2011

Hi Sean and all...
Yes, I have been experimenting quite a bit with this.  I have used several apps on my iPod touch for this.  We are having the worst mosquito year I can remember because of all the flooding here along the Yellowstone River, so I have lots of chance to experiment.
I tried generating the frequency they said was that of a dragonfly which it was claimed would scare the mosquitos away.  Didn't do a thing!
I have also tried a little app that generates the frequency of the male mosquitos ("NoMosquitos" ... free at the app store). The theory is that only the females who have already mated will be interested in biting and that they don't want to have anything to do with the males any more.  I would say it is very slightly effective.  If Ms Mosquito already has your scent and is diving in for her dinner, it doesn't do much. However, the number of hovering mosquitos is definitely diminished, but not eliminated.
Today I also tried the new "Off" mosquito repellant device that has a tiny fan that dispenses a repellant around you.  It is great if you are sitting still, but not so much if you move around... like when working in the yard.  Interestingly, the little fan produces a sound similar to the male mosquito sound on the iPod... just a bit lower pitch.  I wonder if it helps in the process???
So far the best thing I have found (if you don't want to wear deet) is to wear thick clothing they can't sting through (sweats work) and add a hat with a mosquito net veil.
So.... my verdict, so far, is.... there seems to be a possibility of reducing the number of mosquitos in an area with the right frequency but it will not eliminate them entirely. You will probably still be bitten.  Go for the nets! Low-tech, but a lot more effective!
Caryl