[IAEP] [SLOBS]: Request for certifications of developing an activity

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jul 13 16:24:51 EDT 2011

Hi Martin,

long time no see, hope all is well in HK! :-)

Am 13.07.2011 19:13, schrieb Martin Dengler:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 04:07:49PM +0200, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
>> With education students I feel it's hard to get them involved because
>> they're simply not used to tools such as mailing-lists, wikis, and
>> IRC
>
> How do you think we could reach education students?

(a) By working on things that are actually relevant to them.
(b) By making an effort to understand them rather than forcing them (and
largely failing) to understand us.

(All assuming that you believe in the education vs. technology divide
which some very smart people challenged during the eduJAM! summit back
in May.;-)

> Is it worth doing?

Yes, because speaking to technology people only helps you figure out
whether you're doing things right. Speaking to education people helps
you figure out whether you're doing the right things.

(-> the good ol' software verification vs. validation debate)

Cheers,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer