[IAEP] [SLOBS]: Request for certifications of developing an activity

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Jul 13 13:50:55 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> Yes.
> Also, we must recommend working more in the open, I don't know why, but in
> particular students in universities
> are very reluctant to integrate to the community, and are happy dropping a
> "finished" product without interaction.
>
> Gonzalo

A lot of it has to do with motivation. Students typically pick up a
project because they have a requirement, and may be passionate about
the work at that moment, but needs of looking for a job, working on
other course assignments etc. will quickly supersede their original
project direction. The reluctance of integrating with the community
stems from the requirements of the project (schedule/deliverables are
course driven) and a usual lack of understanding of how FOSS projects
work. Once the university requirement is satisfied, their motivation
to continue typically goes away. However, if we are able to inculcate
in these students, a desire for working on these projects while they
are in the course, and integrate them into the community, then there
is hope of continued work.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems