[IAEP] Thailand to revive 1-1 computing

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Wed Jul 13 02:13:21 EDT 2011

Has anybody heard about this, or have any idea what hardware they might be
talking about?

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra tried to put in an OLPC program for
Thailand before he was ousted in a coup. His sister Yingluck Shinawatra
and their political party have recently won a landslide election victory
in Thailand, and this article lists some of her promises. This one is
directly relevant to us.

FREE TABLET PCS

- The new government has promised free tablet computers for about 800,000
new school children each year for six years beginning in January. Puea
Thai says these would cost between 3,000 and 5,000 baht ($100 to $160)
each and operate with open-source software, possibly from India or China.

NOTE: Olarn Chaipravat, a senior figure in Puea Thai's economic team, told
Reuters the project would cost about 4 billion baht ($131 million) a year.
The idea has divided educators with some saying it will do more harm than
good.

The project is a continuation of the One Laptop Per Child project (OLPC)
adopted by Yingluck's brother, Thaksin, but scrapped when he was ousted in
a 2006 coup.
--
Edward Mokurai
(默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر