[IAEP] Music education and textbooks

Valerie Taylor vtaylor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 10:46:46 EDT 2011

Thanks Alan, James and Chris

I would like to see Sugar Activities as the solution, but that is a
pretty big step for these folks. :o)

They have a cart of windows laptops. We are checking to see if they
can run Sugar from a bootable CD or USB stick. So it is a possibility.

But this raises an issue that I have seen elsewhere. College Open
Textbooks is making some headway as are open courses.
http://collegeopentextbooks.org/

Instructors are either willing to create a whole textbook or adopt a
whole textbook. Some will include a few resources to augment a
textbook. Most faculty don't have the time or the inclination to sift
through 100s or 1000s of OERs to piece together a course or text.

Now for many elementary schools, curriculum with texts, teacher
materials, supplementary materials, teacher training are adopted as a
district-wide all-grade levels package.

The "textbook" model covering a whole subject area is important. When
the Replacing Textbooks project is further along, it will provide a
turn-key solution for all grade levels. With budget cuts, schools may
not have the luxury of purchasing subject series textbooks. Seems like
that day may be closer than some realized.

As I'm new to K-8 and Florida, I don't know what options are
available, but I'll find out.